Archive for the ‘How-To’ Category

Field Target: Range Finding and Clicking   8 comments

Greetings All,

I decided to make a quick video describing the process of range finding a target with your scope and clicking (changing the elevation). This process, when actually shooting, does not take that long, but when describing the process it seems like it does.

Here is the video. 🙂

Please let me know if you have questions.

In Christ,
Jeff

Advertisements

Posted September 12, 2011 by avv604 in Airguns, How-To

Tagged with , , , , ,

Hawke Sidewheel Project – Part 2   7 comments

Greetings All,

Well, I finished the side-wheel for my Hawke Sidewinder 6-24×56. The sidewheel is a combination of two ideas I found on a forum. One idea – which I completed – was to use a toilet flange on the existing Hawke 100mm sidewheel(Forum Post Link). I followed the directions and made it work. I created all my range markings and all worked well. I noticed that I was using just under half of the wheel (7″ in diameter). I found a post by Paul Bishop who created a side-wheel from a cutting board for his scope (Homemade+sidewheel+and+scope+knob). I decided I should be able to make a sidewheel that would be half the circumference.

In part 1 I showed how I started out with the cutting board and drew out what I wanted to do. I did not want to buy a bunch of cutting boards so I end up spending a lot of time contemplating and cogitating over how I was going to accomplish this.

So where is where we left off…

Before cutting out the outside of the board, I determined cutting the inside areas first would be easier. I used my Dremel and a few drill bits to cut out the holes.

 

There are three different size holes (1 1/4″,  3/4″,  and 1/2″), so I just used the corresponding bit and drilled the holes. Easy. For the Hawke rubber insert, I measured and found I needed to drill out 1/8″ inch and down 1/4″ so the insert would fit flush but not fall out the back. I did so with the Dremel. I also cut out two notches so it would slip over the knob.

Hawke Insert shown flush with board.

 

Next, I cut out the outside of the wheel with a jig-saw. In hind-sight, I found a Dremel cutting bit that would have worked better. Smoother cuts probably, but too late now.

With the wheel cut out, I started sanding all the edges. Once that was complete, I drilled and tapped four holes for set screws. These would be used to tighten down the rubber insert to the scope knob.

 

With the holes tapped, I needed something on the front to hold the insert in. At Lowes I found a large rubber washer that did the trick. I got some stainless screws to hold the washer and all seemed to be working so far.

When I went to do a test fit, it fit better backwards – so I left it at that. It has a cleaner look anyways.

Test Fit

 

Now that all seemed to be working, it was time for some paint. I bought some plastic paint from Lowes and took the wheel outside for some spraying. Lowes only had gloss black, but I would have preferred flat black. After two coats of paint, here is the result.

Here are some pics of the set screws.

And finally, some pictures with the sidewheel on the scope. You can see the toliet flange in the picture for comparison.

A closer picture of the yardage markings. You can see it is a bit wider than the previous setup.

All in all, the cost for the cutting board, screws, etc. was close to $20. Now granted, this is not as nice as a CNC machine sidewheel – but it is a lot cheaper. If I was going to do it again (I may later down the road), I would buy black plastic from here. That would cut out the cost and hassle of painting.

That wraps up another edition of front porch workshop. Until next time….

Blessings,
Jeff

Posted February 23, 2011 by avv604 in Airguns, How-To

%d bloggers like this: