Marauder Project – .177 Tuning (Part 1)   1 comment

Greetings All,

The storms are moving in here in middle Tennessee. However, this morning I was able to get in a few hours of testing before the storm rolled in. On a previous post I received a comment with a link to the crosman site. On the blog I found one entry that went over what he did to get the “best” performance. (You can read it here.) I printed off the portion I was interested in and setup this morning.

Here is my helper this morning. He wanted to “help” me setup. 🙂

After reading over the post, I was a bit perplexed. The author notes the stroke adjustment is 4.3. How can I get 4.3 turns? I could convert the decimal into a fraction. I decided I would revert to my 1/4, 1/2, and 1 turn method; however, I now will deploy a new method of clock values. This will aid in a bit more fine tuning to get the desired result.

Clock value defined: This is a very simply method and is used as a reference in many tasks. If the Allen wrench is pointing toward the 3 o’clock position, that is my starting point for the adjustment. I move the adjustment to the 5 o’clock position and make a note. You get the idea now. A simple reproducible system.

Here the Allen wrench is in the “3 o’clock” position when I adjusted the metering screw.
Allen wrench in the 3 o'clock position

My goal for this tune is to have a 2000 psi fill and get about 20-30 consistent shots within 20 fps. Thus I begin by taking the action out of the stock and setting everything to “zero.” I call it zero not because of what the rifle shoots, but a reproducible starting point every time. For the hammer spring and stroke adjustments, I turned (as the Crosman post stated and my previous post state) the hammer spring (HS) and stroke adjustment (Sk) counter-clockwise until it stops. For the metering screw, I turned it right or clockwise until it stops.

With all adjustments set to zero, I moved them to the starting points indicated in the Crosman post. They are as follows: HS – 2.25; Sk – 4.3; PSI fill – 2000; Transfer Port Adjustment or metering screw (Ms) – 3. For the Sk, I just started at 4 1/4. For the HS, I started at 2 1/4 turns clockwise and the Ms is 3 turns counter-clockwise.

My current psi in the Marauder was 2200 psi. I shot the PSI down to about 2050psi. I am using JSB Exact Heavy pellets for testing. Here are the numbers:

868, 866, 873, 872, 894, (almost at 2000 psi), 900, 903, 906, 918, (at about 2000psi), 932, 943, 936, 932, 946, 944, 946, (~1900psi), 951, 958, Err, 948, 948, 952, 951, 946, 945, 945, 933, (~1700psi), 941, 935, 931,929, (~1600), 928, 926, 923, 917, 916, 906 (~1500 – 1550 psi). Total – 26 shots starting at 932 and ending at 923

This is a real good start. I want to bring down the velocity and try to make the hammer stroke more efficient. I refilled to 2000psi, swapped to Barracuda Match pellets and shot a 20 shot string.

960, 957, 959, 956, 957, (~1800 psi), 955, 955, 951, 952, 950, 949, 944, 941, 936, 934, 930, (~1650-1700psi), 929, 924, 922, 918, (~1600 psi).

According to ChairGun Pro, for 19.74 fpe, the H&N Barracuda pellets need to be at about 920fps. I decreased the Ms from 2 to 3 (2 o’clock position to the 3 o’clock position), refilled to 2100 psi (to see if the HS is correct), and began shooting. Here are the number and adjustments

955, Sk – cw 1/2; 951, Sk – cw 12 to 2; 955, 958, Sk – cw 1/4; 950, (1900), Ms – ccw 1/4, 933, Ms – 6 to 7, 929, 927, 926, (1800), 927, 924, 920, 917, 920, 912, 911, 910, 909, (1700), 905, 903, 897 (~1600psi).
Total – 20 good shots

After the last adjustments to the Ms, I noticed the clouds were getting darker. So I just finished out the shot sting and packed it up for the time being. I believe the only thing I am going to do next is back off the Ms until I get the average needed. The hammer stroke seems to be okay now and the fill pressure is close to 2000 psi.

With the next GOB match right around the corner, I am trying to get my Marauder ready for my first match with it. If the sun comes out later today I will try a bit more testing.

Until next time… “Live long and prosper.” -Spock



Posted April 24, 2010 by avv604 in Marauder

Tagged with , , , ,

One response to “Marauder Project – .177 Tuning (Part 1)

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. I’d like to thank you for the efforts you’ve put in writing
    this blog. I’m hoping to view the same high-grade
    blog posts by you in the future as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my own website
    now 😉

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: